Friday, February 13, 2015


Who is the contact person for questions about the MFA in Writing Program?
Please contact us at with any questions you have. If the Director does not have the specific information you need (regarding financial aid, etc.), she will give you the contact information for the correct person to contact.

How do I apply to the MFA Program?
Visit our Prospective Students page for details about the creative writing sample and statement of purpose, as well as quarterly deadlines for submitting these two documents to the Program Director. General university admission requirements are listed here. The MFA Program does not require the GRE or letters of recommendation. The creative writing sample and statement of purpose are the basis for MFA Program acceptance.

How many students are accepted into the MFA Program each year?
The MFA Program has a rolling admissions policy and is not limited to a specific number of acceptances each year. Each applicant is considered individually, and every creative writing sample is reviewed on its own merit. We are looking for students who clearly demonstrate strong writing skills, an understanding of the craft of creative writing, and a willingness to continue growing as a writer.

Does my undergraduate degree need to be in English?
No. Any completed undergraduate degree is acceptable for MFA applicants. Applicants who would like to review some foundational information on the craft of creative writing are encouraged to read our LU MFA Foundations faculty posts. We also offer a Fundamentals of Writing for the MFA class.

Do you accept transfer credits toward the MFA?
Lindenwood University accepts up to 9 credit hours of applicable graduate credit toward the MFA in Writing. Current students should contact the Program Director to have transfer classes evaluated for credit.

How long does it take to complete the MFA in Writing?
Degree completion will depend upon the number of credit hours students enroll in each quarter. The MFA is a 48-hour degree program, including the Thesis (which is taken in the final quarter of enrollment, either along with coursework or by itself), and degree completion can take from one to five years. Below are some possible completion scenarios:
  • An on-campus student who takes one 9-credit cluster per quarter, and then enrolls in the Thesis along with the final cluster, will complete the degree in one year and three months.
  • A fully online student who takes three 3-credit classes per quarter for four quarters, and then takes two online classes in the fifth quarter, and takes the Thesis along with the final class in the sixth quarter, will complete the degree in one and a half years.
  • A fully online student who takes two 3-credit classes per quarter, and then enrolls in the Thesis along with the final class, will complete the degree in two years.

How many classes should I take each quarter?
On-campus students enroll in one 9-credit cluster each quarter. To accelerate their degree program further, on-campus students may also take one 3-credit online class along with a cluster. The 3-credit Thesis may be taken along with the final cluster.
Fully online students may enroll in one, two, or three 3-credit online classes per quarter. (In some cases, students may seek the Director's approval to enroll in four 3-credit online classes per quarter.) Each online class requires students to participate on Canvas a minimum of three times per week, so it is up to students to determine how many classes will work best with their schedule. See the FAQ below about full-time/part-time enrollment regarding requirements for applying for financial aid/loans.

How many credit hours must be taken each quarter to be considered full-time? Part-time? 
How many credit hours are required in order to apply for financial aid/student loans?
In our accelerated quarter system, enrollment in 9 credit hours is considered full-time. Enrollment in 6 credit hours is considered part-time. At least 6 credit hours must be taken each quarter in order to apply for financial aid or student loans.

What is the tuition rate for the program? Is there an out-of-state fee?
Tuition is $495 per credit hour as of Summer 2019. There is no additional cost for out-of-state students. The MFA in Writing is a 48-credit-hour program. See the FAQ below for information about grants.

What grants are available? Do you offer Teaching Assistantships or scholarships?
The MFA Program offers the three grants listed below (Teacher Grants and 60+ Grant). Lindenwood University does not offer MFA-specific scholarships or Teaching Assistantships (but our Fundamentals of Writing for the MFA class includes preparatory information for students who plan to teach after graduation). For information about any other grants or scholarships that the university may offer, contact Admissions at 636-949-4933 or Financial Aid at 636-949-4923.
  • Teacher Grant: The MFA in Writing Program offers a grant of $60 off per credit hour for teachers who currently teach at the elementary, middle school, or high school level. 
  • Community College Teacher Grant: This grant offers $40 off per credit hour for current instructors at community colleges.
  • 60+ Grant: This grant offers a 50% tuition grant for students age 60 or over. 

Are MFA students required to declare an emphasis area? What courses are required?
LU MFA students are not required to declare an emphasis; however, emphases in fiction, poetry, and creative nonfiction are available as options for the degree. MFA in Writing students may take coursework in a variety of genres, or they may focus their coursework in a particular genre. Students may choose the courses that work best for them each term. Emphasis students must take at least one required Foundational class from the emphasis list for their genre. The Thesis is required by all students in the final quarter of the program. Our program offers a variety of classes and specialized focus areas in poetry, literary fiction, genre fiction, the novel, creative nonfiction, narrative journalism, scriptwriting, and literary journal editing. To view a full listing of MFA clusters and classes, click here. Instructor course descriptions for various focus areas can be viewed here by clicking on each instructor's name.

How do I drop a class? What is the charge for withdrawing?
Students must email their MFA Advisor with a withdrawal request, including the last date of attendance (for online students, this is the last date you accessed Canvas), and then the advisor will fill out the paperwork to withdraw you from class. The drop policy, including information about fees that are charged based on your date of withdrawal, is detailed in the catalog. If a student who drops a class has never attended a class meeting (or if an online student has never posted in that class on Canvas), there is no charge for dropping.

How do I view my grades/schedule/transcripts/account ledger/student email?
Student grades are not mailed out. Grades, along with other student information, including class schedule, unofficial transcripts, and account ledger, can be viewed through your Student Portal. Student email is accessed through a student’s Lindenwood email account. New students will have access to their student portal and email after they have registered for classes.

What if I don’t see my question listed here?
Visit the links below for more program information or contact us at

No comments: